Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Blog 8: Research Reflection

What I've Learned So Far


Since I've started working on this project, something I've learned to do is better understand people that are different than me. In other words, I have been able to overcome the obvious fears that arise when volunteering at an HIV+ drug rehab center so that I am able to better observe the patients and program to answer my essential question. Being able to put all emotions aside and talking to the patients like they're just like everyone else may seem easy until you're actually put into the situation. This is something that I have overcome that I believe is crucial to answering my essential question.


I am not sure how to post evidence of this accomplishment.. but here are pictures of some of the houses I am volunteering at: 


"Gerry House" houses the HIV/AID+ drug addicts


Sober Living Home 1 is the equivalent of a "Halfway House"


Sober Living Home 2 is the continuation of the original home


What helped me the most in this situation was, obviously, my service learning. That is how I originally came into contact with the patients. The actual source that helped me the most was TheBody.com. It remains my best source for finding any and all answers I have needed throughout the course of this project. TheBody not only focuses on the medical aspect of my topic, but it contains many articles that deal with the social/cultural aspect of HIV+ Drug Rehab as well. 





No comments:

Post a Comment